At the Globe Soccer Award 2020 held in Dubai (UAE), Ronaldo defeated three opponents including Messi, Ronaldinho and Salah to receive the award “Best Player of the 21st Century” (calculated for two decades , from 2001 to 2020). According to results from public online voting, the Portuguese superstar received 38% of the votes, far ahead of 24% of the votes for Messi.

Immediately after receiving this prestigious award, Ronaldo shared on Twitter: “Can’t be happier with this award tonight. As I am about to celebrate my 20th anniversary as a professional soccer player, Globe Soccer Player Of The Century is the recognition I have with so much joy and pride.”

Messi himself did not hesitate to praise Ronaldo in an interview with La Sexta on the occasion of Christmas and New Year. Specifically, Messi compared the Portuguese superstar with Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and LeBron James.

There are many admirable athletes. Nadal, Federer, LeBron James are the standouts in their sport. One person stands out in all sports. Ronaldo stands out in football. He’s always doing his best, ”Messi said.

Also in this awards ceremony, Ronaldo was also voted the most in the category “Best Player of the Year” with 42% of the votes, compared with 38% for Lewandowski and 20% for Messi. However, these are the votes from fans, only 40% of the weight, while the remaining 60% comes from the choice of the jury.

Tuttosport newspaper said that the jury chose Lewandowski as the best player in 2020, not Ronaldo. There are many information that Ronaldo and representative Jorge Mendes has actively “ceded” to Lewandowski, but there is no evidence to confirm this. The Italian newspaper instructed Ronaldo and Mendes that they “honestly recognize Lewandowski as the one who deserves the award“.